Jan 12, 2009

Ben's birthday week!

I really cannot believe that I have a 6 year old! Time has flown when I think about 6 years ago and having my water break 2 months early. I told Ben the story and he asked why it broke and I said he kicked really hard because he wanted to come out! He got a laugh out of that but I think it's the truth! That kid has NO patience so who knows, maybe he did! Ben was a special baby. He spent the first month of his life in the NICU and then he came home only to have heart surgery a year later for a problem that was not related to his prematurity. So he has had his troubles in his short life but he is so strong and such a fighter. No one who meets him could ever guess that he has had those problems! I wish I could find some newborn pictures of him because he was so small and so cute but I can't!
Anyway, to get to his birthday week (yes it seemed like we celebrated all week long and that child had to be the most annoying child alive because he was SO excited...but I still love him) we asked him where he wanted to go for his b-day dinner and of course he said The Mayan. I have never been but he has been twice. Whenever I am out of town he talks whoever is watching him into taking him there.
Here is Ben and Sam waiting to go in!
Mat's mom went up with us and we were lucky enough to sit right in front so we had a perfect view of the show. It was actually good food and good entertainment!

They had to sit on top of the snake...even though it said no climbing! :)

He could not stop jumping and clapping...can you see why he drove me nuts all week!

They would go up and watch the show and towards the end, Ben started to dance along and "speak in tongue"! Seriously he thought he was!

The morning of his birthday, he woke up every hour to see if it was time for presents. Next time I am not even going to tell him when he gets to open them so we can get a good night sleep.
He got another game for his Leapster. We also gave him a remote control car that drives on the wall. It is awesome! He also lost his 2nd tooth the day before.

He had to give Sam a hug for his present. This doesn't happen too often without a punch and a cry following so I have to cherish it!

Sam picked this out for Ben all by himself and he was so proud!

Moving on to the last day of celebration! I didn't want to do a friend party this year so I told him we would all go bowling with his cousins. My mom and dad heard and of course had to come along and we were so happy that they did! So it was a big day of bowling! We got there and had to wait so we let the kids play the video games. I think the adults played more than the kids but who cares! :)

Ben loved this bullet bike game but look how he is holding his feet...that is classic Ben because he is double-jointed so he is always getting into strange positions!

Sam and I attempted to play Mat in a shooting game...we lost!

We finally got called to bowl and the kids had so much fun! It was the first time for Sam and he couldn't handle all the waiting in between his turns.

Mat had to "help" Sam's ball along because it was just taking too long to get to the pins!

Ben was really good!

My mom, Ashley, Sam and Jess just hanging out!


That night we had the family party. Ben is really into space right now so of course he asked for an astronaut cake. My mom has a friend that makes awesome cakes! I don't know if you can tell but it even says Ben's name on his tag. It was so cute!


We are so lucky to have so many family members around so we had a fun time! They all came over for cake and ice cream. I think Sam got the candles out before Ben did...but he didn't say anything so why would I! Ha!



There is some kind of toy (I can't even spell it and I sure can't pronounce it) that Ben LOVES! So Uncle Cory and Aunt Jessica gave him one. He was too excited for words!

It is so funny watching all of the cousins as he opened presents. They were so excited! My mom and dad gave Ben a really cool moon that he puts on his wall in his bedroom and it changes with the phases of the real moon. He has loved it!
I am so happy that Ben had such a fun birthday! He is still talking about it so I guess that is a good thing! :)

10 comments:

The Gulls said...

it looks like you guys had so much fun. I cant wait for corbins birthday in a couple of weeks. Its so sad to watch our kids grow up. time goes by way to fast

Rasmussens said...

Ben can always put a smile on my face. It looks like he had a great birthday. Hope all is well. WE need to come visit you.

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh! My nieces LOVE the mayan and we go every year for BOTH their b-days. I gotta tell you..i hate it so you're a better sport than me. p.s. you are such a funny mom--i love how you love your kids SOOO much but then you can also say that ben was being the most annoying child alive. HA!

Jessica said...

Next year you need to not tell Ben it's his b-day and then you wont have a week of pestering! Just wake up and tell him it's his b-day! We had a fun day!

Hillary said...

Fun! I want to celebrate my birthday at your house. Wish we could have been there. Looks like he was on cloud 9 all week. What a cute little guy. He looks hilarious on the bullet bike. By the way, I hate your blog background, you need something more masculine...check out www.thecutestblogontheblock.com for some cute ones! I am your sister, I can tell you this right! Love ya!

Lori said...

I have never taken my kids the the Mayan, that would be fun! Your such a good Mom. I love the astronaut cake, coming from someone who likes doing cakes, me, that would be tricky! It looks Awesome!

I love all your snow pictures, and I am glad Ben had a good birthday!

Hillary said...

Much better, thanks!

Becca said...

Fantastic!!! What a great birthday! We love the Mayan too! The kids always ask to go there!

Tiffany Robinson said...

Avorie Says she wishes Ben a happy birthday. It is so much fun to make a whole week out of a birthday. It only comes once a year and so why not make it last as much as you can. You have a great family to support you, That is so awesome.

Katy said...

Happy Birthday Ben!! I can't believe he is six!!