Dec 5, 2011

Thanksgiving and a tree

My dads cousin was hunting earlier this year when he found a tree that had my grandpa and his twins brother name carved in it. Anyone who has been up the canyon has seen the quakies with names carved in them. They don't like you to do it anymore I guess but back in the day it was the thing to do! Anyway, my grandpa and his twin brother were best of friends and it was their name with the year 1941...which is right before they left for war. His twin brother passed away earlier this year so my grandpa is the only one still alive and to find this tree was a treasure for our family. The only sad thing is that the tree is dead. Well, my dad got an idea to hike up there and cut it down and preserve it for my grandpa. So...Mat, my sister and her husband, my brother and my dad spend a Saturday hiking up the canyon to get the tree. I wish I could have gone but Mat took pictures for me!

Mat said it was really pretty.Taking the tree out. I can't wait to see my grandpa when we give it to him. He doesn't even know anyone found it!The boys talked me into putting Christmas up a weekend before Thanksgiving. I have to admit, it's not my favorite thing to do. I get stressed and not the happiest person to be around. Sam was in charge of the nativity and when I looked at it, this is what I found. Baby Jesus was being stalked by Jaguars. :) My Christmas elf!


Ben in his class play.


Sam at his Thanksgiving Feast!


We had Thanksgiving at Mat's moms house. Her backyard was covered in leaves. Mat's sister took them out back to let them play and they loved it!


The boys love their cousins! Happy Thanksgiving!


2 comments:

Hillary said...

Cute, cute, boys! I so wish I could have been there for the tree excursion, I really hate that I miss all this, but can't wait to see the final project! It will be so neat!

Tiffany Robinson said...

I love how their little minds work and think of the the things we tend to miss.