Jan 7, 2012

Hiking in January

Usually the beginning of January has a ton of snow. I'm talking feet of it in this part of the canyon that we decided to go hiking in. Instead it was dry and dusty. It's so sad!

My dad and mom took us up the canyon to shoot guns and go on a hike. Mat and I and the boys dressed for cold weather. Thermals, gloves, beanies, and layers. After 10 minutes most of the layers were off! It was warmer here than it was at our house!

The boys love to shoot the guns.
After shooting for a while my mom took the truck to the end of the trail and the rest of us started to hike down the ridge. Ben and Sam both had a run in with a cactus. Sam got a bunch of spikes in his shoes but poor Ben fell and got some big ones in his leg! I was surprised at how you couldn't get them out! Luckily grandpa had his leatherman and ripped them out leaving holes. Poor kid!

Sam got to hold the gun (minus bullets) for a while.


Ben hiked right by grandpa the whole time and I think he talked my dads ear off!

At the bottom of the ridge a swampy area had frozen over. We had to get a family shot on the ice...guns and all!"ice-skating"It was a fun day with grandma & grandpa and a very bad cactus!

1 comments:

Hillary said...

Ouch! That doesn't sound fun! I can't imagine Ben talking anyones ear off!!!! That is so sad seeing no snow in Utah! We had so much fun SKYEing tonight, we will have to do it again.