Sep 8, 2011

Fastest Yellowstone trip EVER!!!

We woke up the morning after our family reunion and packed up to go home when we realized that we were pretty close to Yellowstone (at least closer than we have ever been)! We went to a gas station, bought a $5 map and off we went! This was big to me because I am NOT a spontaneous person. The boys were excited and Mat & I were excited because we hadn't been for a really long time.


We got some subways and had lunch inside the park.

Excited to go and explore!
The one thing that I really remember about Yellowstone was the boardwalks. The boys had a ball and it was so fun seeing them enjoy it!

Hot pots

Such an amazing sight! It was such a beautiful color of blue and the whole time it was bubbling because it's so hot!

We knew that Hillary and her family were going to be in Yellowstone that day on their way to Alaska. We said our goodbye's the night before. There was no cell service inside the park so we were hoping to see them but didn't know if we would. We got to Old Faithful and sat down. I had one bar on my phone and got a hold of my dad. Wouldn't you know that they were walking by us at the same time we were calling them! Ben was so excited to see Josh again! We watched Old Faithful go off and then parted ways for the LAST time!

Sam & Old Faithful

Ben & Josh & Old Faithful

We were only in the park for around 3.5 hours. Not nearly enough time to see what we wanted to but we wanted to get on our way home. On the way out we saw this waterfall and Sam (who had just fallen asleep) wanted to see it. There was a lot of water in it!

Lots and lots and LOTS of driving! It is such a beautiful place to drive through so it made it worth the extra hours we put into our trip!

The Grand Tetons. I wish we could have stopped here but we had to get home. We want to go back up and actually plan a trip and spend some time there!

I loved this, as we were going through Wyoming, the sun was setting and it was an amazing end to a wonderful impromptu trip. Thanks to our map and my Uncle Dave for the directions when our map didn't show anything we got home around 2 in the morning. It was a true road trip and a great memory!


2 comments:

Tiffany Robinson said...

SO LUCKY to have older boys to be able to go on so many adventures. I have only been to yellowstone when I was 2. I have always wanted to go. It's so nice your boys love to explore.

Hillary said...

So glad you decided to make that spontaneous trip! Josh still talks about seeing his cousins again in Yellowstone!